Tuesday, March 3, 2009

tuesday blues

I'm homesick. I miss pancakes with butter and fake syrup, and American television, and snow, and most of all, speaking English. There are a hundred little interactions every day, and they all have to be done in French. 

I miss people smiling at you on the street and chatting in the checkout line. 
I miss it being socially acceptable to stop someone and pet their dog.
I miss grilled cheese sandwiches made with Kraft singles. 
I miss having profs with office hours, even if I never really go.
I miss seeing bright colors everywhere, instead of just black and grey. 
I miss Minnesota in the wintertime, and the way Carleton looks at midnight when it's snowing. 
I miss wearing hoodies all the time, and eating two eggs sunny side up every day for breakfast. 
I miss the people and places I love. 

But mostly, I just want to chat and laugh and tease and crack jokes and be snarky and bitch and argue and rant in English, whenever I want, with the words I love.