Monday, February 9, 2009

Une Salade

Tonight I ate a salad that contained the following ingredients:

lettuce
tomatoes
bacon (sort of. it's not quite american bacon, but yummy nonetheless.)
potato slices
melted raclette 
a single poached egg
balsamic vinaigrette (homemade obviously) (i was just thisclose to using obvs as an abbreviation for obviously. unacceptable!)

it was delish. (this is an acceptable abbreviation, i swear)


Tomorrow (at 8am! jeez louise. i am now used to waking late and taking two hour lunches. i can never go back to the states...) I meet with the director of the school I'll be volunteering at. I'm going to be working with mentally disabled kids aged 7+, which should be a lot of fun. 

To get into the Saint Valentin spirit I made a garland of tiny hearts for my room with white paper and pale blue thread and scotch tape, and it makes me happy. I love my room here, even the giant horse poster on the wall. 


I need to make train reservations for my winter vacation, which starts february 21 (and for when Matthew Dearest visits in March and we go to Paris, hurrah!). I'm going to visit Emily in Menton for the lemon festival, and then I'm going to Florence. I'm really excited but kind of terrified because I've never really traveled alone, especially to a country where I don't speak the language. Also, I'm totally embarrassed to admit this since I'm twenty years old, but my mom usually does this sort of thing (booking travel and sleeping arrangements) for me and I'm not entirely sure I can do it alone without any major missteps. 

It sort of just hit me that I have to be a real grown up in just over a year, with a job and rent and massive amounts of debt and everything. I am so not ready for such things.