Friday, February 13, 2009

Happy Saint Valentin!

I hope you are all surrounded by people you love this weekend. I am making chocolate chip cookies with this recipe. I actually made the dough last night, and it is sitting in the fridge the requisite 36 hours. I confess, I had a little bit for breakfast this morning. 

France doesn't seem to care much about this holiday, except that some restaurants are offering free glasses of champagne tomorrow night. Personally, I have mixed emotions. My slightly cynical side thinks it is silly to have a holiday just people feel obligated to buy cards and chocolates, when you should really being showing you love and appreciate those around you all the time (something I need to do more of)...on the other hand, I really want to break out the doilies and construction paper. 

This is the garland I made! I have discovered the macro setting, can you tell?

My favorite Valentine's Day was with Matt freshman year, when we ate pizza in my room and I forced him to watch select scenes from The Notebook against his will. I remember having all these conversations with my mom when we were first dating, like "Why doesn't he like girly movies?" and "Why doesn't he want to stay on the phone for six hours at a time?" and "I just don't understand why he would rather play video games or watch Mystery Science Theater 3000 than sing showtunes or read poetry or something!" and she had to gently explain to me that perhaps he is just a boy and that is why.

And I quite like him, so I have agreed not to play ABBA music in the car, but when we go on long drives I like to sing showtunes to pass the time, and he is just fine with that. 

Just think of all the coloring I can do!

Today I discovered Michel, the papeterie, and I bought myself this for Valentine's Day. These are my favorite pens/markers EVER, and I didn't think they sold them here. There are twenty different colors! I am so excited. Thanks for the Valentine's money, Daddy!