Saturday, February 14, 2009

a lovely night.

Today was marvellous!

Victoire, Catherine's eighteen year old daughter, is visiting for the weekend. She is amazing! So effervescent and friendly, and great fun to be around. Having here here definitely diffuses some of the tension between Catherine and Capucine too, so that's nice.

Today some old family friends came to visit, and it was just the loveliest day! Gerard--or tonton, as Capucine & Victoire call him--made some delicious pizza, so we snacked on that before a lunch of some yummy Provencal dish with lots of meat in it. For dessert--chocolate chip cookies!

Then we spent the afternoon wandering around town, having great fun. One of the things I love about Aix is that despite its size, I almost always run into people I know on the street! Today I saw a couple friends from my program while we were out, which was nice. Catherine saw me admiring a pair of earrings in a shop, so she bought them for me! What a lovely and generous family I'm living with. 

Tonight, we had the rest of Gerard's pizza and a salad, and for dessert Capucine and I microwaved cookie dough in little ramekins, and everyone oohed and ahhed about how delicious it was. After dinner, we listened to old music on the record player (no, really, this is my life) and danced! Turns out my waltzing and polka-ing skills come in handy!

Tonton & Tata (which is what everyone calls Gerard & Mariette--it means uncle and auntie) have been married 44 years, and they are the sweetest couple! They were showing off their swing dance moves to Bill Haley and the Comets, and later dancing cheek to cheek to some Frank Sinatra. Below is the four seconds worth of video I got before my memory card filled up!


What a lovely Valentine's Day!