Wednesday, February 11, 2009

deathly ill

Theatre class suits me, being incredibly melodramatic and all. I was feeling gross and sick from the moment I woke up today, so halfway through I turned to my friend Allison. 

"Je suis en train de mourir."

And after class, I went home. I drugged myself up, Catherine brought me tea, and I read a bit and then slept for six hours. She tells me I have a fever, but at home nothing under 101 really qualifies as sick, so I am dubious. 

Now, I am up late doing homework for tomorrow, and I am determined to be well because it is an action and excitement filled day--class, volunteering at the school, wine tasting class, and yoga. I cannot afford to be sick, so I am on a continuous cycle of alternating pain relievers until I'm all better. 

I am actually really enjoying doing this homework, which I don't think has happened since Ms. Hamilton's English class junior year of high school. This is what it's like to enjoy learning! I had forgotten. After the  hell that was high school, I think I built Carleton up so much in my mind that it was bound to fall short...and I haven't taken many classes that excited me to the point where I enjoyed doing the reading. 

The class I'm doing work for right now, Littérature du Voyage, is taught by a young prof named Sylvie. I've only been to one class so far, but we looked at old maps, talked about pirates, buccaneers, and filibusters (the piratey kind, not the senatorial kind), and learned the etymological origins of the word barbecue.*

Needless to say, I am smitten. 

In theatre, we are working on three short scenes, all farcical and dating pretty far back. My friend Moze and I had discussed wanting to do something contemporary, so we spoke with the prof and he recommended a few pieces for us to look at, and if we find something we like we can work on it independently and present it with the others at the end of the term. I am mad excited, and fully intend to pick something horribly sad to exploit the fragile emotions of my peers. 

Sorry for the lack of pretty pictures. Maybe tomorrow. 

*The buccaneers would roast a goat on a spit "de la barbe a la queue"--from the beard to the tail--and then eat it. Yum, except I have a soft spot for goats after Camp Celo and could never ever eat one.