Tuesday, January 20, 2009

"Le fidelité n'existe pas en France"


This is a not-so-good photo of my school. 
You can tell the people exiting are American because 
they are wearing colors instead of just black or gray. 


"How many of you have boyfriends or girlfriends back in the States?"

About five or six of us raised our hands. 

"Allow me to be frank. Fidelity doesn't exist in France."

This was the beginning of a long and mildly disturbing lecture on dating and affairs of the heart in France. We learned the following:

1. French men love to be rejected. Therefore, if they hit on you and you reject them, they will find this encouraging and redouble their efforts, thinking that your rejection means you secretly want to sleep with him.

2. Eye contact is important. Three seconds of eye contact with a guy is fine, on the fourth, he will think you want to sleep with him and will come introduce himself in order to pursue this. I'm not kidding, this is what she told us. 

3. Don't give a boy your phone number, because he will think you want to sleep with him. 

4. Don't invite a boy over for dinner, because he will think you want to sleep with him. 

I guess I won't really be having any male friends. 

Essentially, Lilli told us to give up all hope of maintaining relationships back home, and to live it up while we're in Europe. We were basically encouraged to cheat on significant others and sleep around, because "seduction and pleasure are a major part of life in France." I know she wants us to assimilate, but I'm not sure that is the best way to do it. The only reason I'm not totally weirded out is because I still think it's hilarious that we got all this advice from a tiny fifty-something American woman and she was SO SERIOUS. 


PS: I'm going to cut down the posts to once a week or so. While there is so much exciting stuff happening, I don't think it's good for my French if I'm babbling on in English every day, although I really want to because it's definitely easier. 

PPS: Don't worry Matt. I will not be taking any of the aforementioned advice. 

PPPS: Sorry Mom, if this was a little too racy for you. 

PPPPS: omigosh, OBAMA!