Sunday, January 18, 2009

Even the sunrises are prettier...

I'm here! I arrived yesterday morning, safe and sound but exhausted. The picture above was taken from the window of my almost-empty plane from London to Marseille. My host family is super nice-I'm living with a woman named Catherine and her fifteen year old daughter Capucine, who likes shopping and Katie Perry. 

Yesterday was long and exhausting--it's one thing learning French in the classroom, it's another to trail a bunch of teenagers. I probably understand about 50% when I really listen, but it's pretty tiring and my most used words are probably "Pardon?" and "d'accord." Capucine and her friends use a lot of slang, but Catherine has been really good about speaking slowly and trying to make sure I understand. 

The town of Aix is lovely! There are all these tiny streets and not a lot of cars--people walk everywhere. The apartment is nice and cozy and so pretty, and my bed is HUGE. I'll post pictures later. We live a short walk from the main street--the Cours Mirabeau--and about two minutes away from my school. 

The past two days have been full of things, but I couldn't tell you what exactly because everyone talks so fast. I've already had the best cheese and the strongest coffee of my life, and last night for dinner Catherine cooked (and my cooked I mean it was briefly on fire and the center was still bloody) the largest piece of meat I've ever seen, and it was SO GOOD. We walk everywhere though, and portions are small, so hopefully I won't come back with twice as much Lila to love. 

I'm definitely feeling very American. I made the mistake of wearing a turquiose cardigan the other day, and I stuck out like a sore thumb because everyone wears black and grey here. Also, it seems Capucine knows everyone in Aix under 20, so yesterday we were stopping constantly so she could say hi and everyone could ask her about me. We stopped for coffee a few times with her friends, who are super fashionable and very together and make me feel terribly young and naïve. Teenagers here are like American 25 year olds, if most American 25 year olds were chain smokers. 

Today is a lazy Sunday, everything is closed except the bakeries so we slept late and now Capucine and I are watching an American reality TV show that I don't recognize. Kathy Griffin is hosting, and here it's called "Lovelooser: Les Apprentis Seducteurs." Any ideas?

All the television I've seen here is American. Capucine and I share a TV addiction, and so far we've watched Les Simpson, Walker Texas Ranger, and Chuck. She also loves Sex & the City, Gossip Girl, Grey's Anatomy, and Desperate Housewives, so I don't have to be deprived of all the trash I enjoy on a regular basis! Exciting, right?

I promised myself I wouldn't write long narcissistic posts about the minutiae of my day, but here we are. Sorry about that. I have wireless in my house, so you can email me anytime or leave a comment, I would love to hear from all of you!