Thursday, January 22, 2009

Important Lessons.

I lied. I can't stop. There is so much going on here, and to resist discussing every detail is a lot harder than you'd think.

Today I slept in since I didn't have class until 11, and I walked to the corner bakery and had a pain au chocolat for breakfast. Blah blah class etc., then I walked down to the Cours Mirabeau (the main drag) with some friends to get crêpes for lunch. 

I have already eaten plenty of crêpes here--Capucine makes particularly good ones, so I've had crêpes for dinner at least twice and for breakfast three times. My favorite so far was one Catherine made, with eggs, ham, and gruyère...also, I love le saucisson (which literally means sausage, but is more like what we'd think of as salami) so when I saw a crêpe on the menu with saucisse, eggs, and gruyère, I was pretty much the happiest girl in Aix (um, how was I a vegetarian?).


If you are ever in France, let me clarify one thing: just because two words are almost exactly the same does not mean they signify the same thing. The saucisses on my crêpe this afternoon were, in fact, four overcooked hot dogs sliced lengthwise and tucked in with the cheese and eggs. Bon appétit?

It's okay though, because yesterday I mentioned offhandedly to my host mom that I love foie gras, so for dinner tonight we had several crusty baguettes with a mini-buffet of foie gras, smoked salmon, and salted butter (the butter here is fattier, which also means more delicious), and about a bottle and a half of white wine. All this was spread on the coffee table, and we ate it while watching the French version of Wheel of Fortune. 

Lilli gave us a bunch of lectures this week about how different the French are and what a major cultural adjustment we're all going through, particularly in terms of mealtimes. In some areas this is definitely true, but living with my host family has been pretty comfortable thus far. 

Tonight I had a three hour conversation with my host mom (in French!) talking about Minnesota vs. North Carolina, the moodiness of teenage daughters, politics in France and America, welfare, panhandlers, and being in a culture different from your own (when she was a student she spent a year studying in Seattle so she gets it). She was talking about me living with them, and demanded to know why I never opened the fridge. 

"Um...Lilli told us not to...she said in France, you wait for things to be offered, and I didn't want to be rude..." 

"Mais non! We are French, but we are not so French. If you are hungry, you eat. If you are thirsty, you take something to drink. You are another daughter here!"

Catherine went on to say how she was glad things are turning out so well, and to always be honest and assertive and not feel like I have to tiptoe around the house. 
"If you want to do something else and not eat here, just tell me. If you want to go out with friends, go out with friends. There will be ups and downs. If you want to cry, you can cry here or you can cry in your room. You can come talk to me or not. You are like a daughter, but it is important that you know you have freedom."

Tonight was a little bit perfect.